Saturday, March 26, 2011

Michael's Frozen Custard

I've only ever purchased one thing from this custard-ery: the chocolate chip cookie dough hot fudge sundae. It's a standard sundae with hot fudge and little cookie dough pellets sprinkled on. Now, I don't want to brag, but I'm one of the world's foremost experts on cookie dough and cookie dough-related dairy confections. Ben and Jerry's is a good one, and I've been known to eat a pint in a single sitting, followed by several seconds of self-loathing before my stomach tells my brain it wants more cookie dough. Their cookie dough is the correct size (~0.5"-1" in diameter), consistency (chewy), and a decent enough cookie dough to iced cream ratio (although my optimum would be 100% cookie dough). For comparison, Michael's begins with smaller cookie dough chunks that are a little more solid, and they are a topping rather than sprinkled through the custard bulk. If this were all there were too it, then it would fall far short of Ben and Jerry's.

But that's not all there is too it. There's also the hot fudge, which not only adds delicious delicious hot fudge, but also helps melt the custard a little bit, pulling the whole thing together. It becomes more than the sum of its parts, like a sunset over an ocean. With a shooting star. Their only mistake is insisting on Maraschino cherries, the Mark of the Devil staining god's creation. Not everyone's perfect.

I should probably say Betsy also enjoys a different dessert, the mint chocolate chip shake. They're much better than shamrock shakes, which I recently found out, are disgusting. I think she's had a couple other sundaes as well, all of which were enjoyed.

Michael's does also have some food. But why would anyone eat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment